Volunteer FAQ

Can I complete my mandated court service hours with your organization?
No. Unfortunately, we are unable to sign off on court service hours. For a listing of agencies in the community that can, please visit 211utah.org.

I have leftovers from a past dinner event. Can I donate this?
For the health and safety of our clients, we only accept canned and packaged food in original packaging. All food must be in good condition with the original food label intact. We cannot accept food that has been out to be served. For example, from a catered event, we can accept a tray of food that has not been opened and not set out to be served. We cannot take a tray that has been openned.

Can I walk in to volunteer?
No. Due to the vulnerable populations we serve, we do not have any walk-in options available. Please refer to our Volunteer page on our website to view our volunteer process.

Why are there so many steps to volunteer?
As our Salt Lake County programs serve people who are experiencing homelessness, struggling with substance abuse issues, and/or other mental health issues, they are considered a vulnerable population. We feel we must select both staff and volunteers whom we feel will be able to connect well with our clients while also being sensitive to their needs.

I love what you all do, but I am unsure if I can work directly with clients. Are there other ways I can be involved?
Sure. We often need people to help with clerical work, donations, event planning, and so forth. If you are interested, please refer to our volunteer opportunities for our current list of positions. People have also helped by hosting a donation drive, a bake sale, a car wash, or organizing another community project to benefit our programs.

I just want to volunteer one time. Is that possible?
You bet! We have many one-time and group volunteer opportunities. The projects change throughout the year, depending on the need, so please email us for more information at volunteer@voaut.org.