Groups are for anyone that that receives services at the Youth Resource Center. We encourage youth to participate in groups which are lead by staff, volunteers or other organizations that have partnered with the youth center.
Groups run about 45 minutes to 1 hour at the Center. For further details on groups, please contact the Homeless Youth Resource Center at 801-364-0744 or email email@example.com.
- Youth Advocate Led Groups—Tuesday through Saturday. Youth Advocate led groups are 1 hour and are different each week. Examples of these groups include crafts, music, documentaries, painting, drawing, cooking, baking, card games, board games, etc.
- YRC Programming Tabling Hours—Tuesdays. The Program Manager goes over weekly programming schedule every week with clients.
- Resource Day—Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. 10 am to 11 am. Clients access resources such as clothing, hygiene items, sleeping bags, tents, pampers, etc. This happens three times a week.
- Townhall—Monday. 11 am to Noon. Clients are able to provide feedback to staff.
- Crisis Clinician (Intern)—Monday and Thursday. 10:30 am to 5 pm. Short-term counseling and/or therapy available for clients provided by our crisis clinician intern.
- Shelter Case Management—Weekly office hours are Monday through Thursday, 5 pm to 7 pm. Clients may speak with a case manager about housing options, set up appointments, and receive updates.
- Storage Service—Tuesday and Thursday. 5pm to 6 pm. Clients have the ability to access a free storage service with "A place for your stuff". Staff will transport clients to this free storage service twice a week.
- Computer Lab—Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. 5 pm to 6 pm. Clients have the opportunity to use our computer lab to check their email, create a resume, apply for a job (online), apply for benefits, etc.
- Coping Skills Group—Tuesdays. 2 pm. YESS team provides a safe place for clients to talk about substance use/recovery and how that is connected to one's own traumatic experience. Our YESS team Peer Support Specialist hosts this group once a week through March 2, 2023.
- SNAP LAB—First Tuesday each month.10 am to Noon. Our Diversion Department hosts this clinic on the first Tuesday of every month. Clients receive individualize help signing up for food stamps and other state/local benefits.
- Youth in Recovery—Mondays from noon to 1 pm. 3 VBH storefront case managers will be coming to YRC weekly to complete intakes with clients. This is the first step to set them up with a VBH case manager and therapist.
- Youth in Recovery—Tuesdays. 9:30 am to 10:30 am. Peer support group for clients in recovery or interested in recovery.
- All Together Skate-park (ATS) Skate Group—Tuesdays. 10:30 am to 11:30 am Skate group is hosted every Tuesday. Gear rental included. All are welcomed!
- Boxing Program—Fridays. 4 pm to 6 pm Youth Advocate-Led weekly group at Sorensen center. This group is hosted every Friday. Transportation and Rec Day pass included.
- Bouldering Project—Last Week of Every Month. 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm Private bouldering Lessons @ Bouldering Project Climbing gym. This group is hosted on the last week of every month. Coaching and rentals included.
- PrEP/Prevention—First Monday of Every Month. Staff from U of U educate clients on living with and/or preventing HIV.
- 4th St Mobile Clinic—Once per month (scheduled day varies). 8:30 am to 3:30 pm. Clients can schedule a health checkup from 4th Street Mobile Clinic. Scheduled days depend on service availability and are different each month.
- Utah Pride Center—Every other Tuesday. noon to 1pm. Utah PRIDE Center tables at YRC every other week on Tuesdays. The PRIDE Center shares their programming schedule and some resources.
- Mental Health F.I.T.—Every other Wednesday. 11 am to noon. Clients engage in several creative mediums in an effort to talk about and destigmatize mental health. Spring Programming will focus on film production, engaging conversations, and documentaries. This group is 6 weeks long culminating in a documentary.
- Writing Group—Thursdays. 11 am to noon. Salt Lake Community College hosts a writing group each Thursday. Clients get to express themselves through journaling activities and storytelling.
- Legal Clinic—Wednesdays. 6 pm to 7 pm during meal service. Clients have the opportunity to meet with an attorney and ask for legal advice. This takes place every Wednesday from 6pm-7pm during meal service.
- Utah Harm Reduction—Thursdays. 1 pm to 3 pm. This organization visits the center once a week to provide clients with harm reduction resources, referrals, and education. Services include a needle exchange program and testing.
- Salt Lake County Recreation Center Day Passes—Clients may request 1 day pass that grants them access to any Salt Lake County Recreation Center. Day passes are given out every Wednesday depending on availability.
- SAPREA Consent for Young Adults—First Wednesday of every month. 11 am to 12 pm. This non-profit organization hosts a group once a month about healthy dating and consent.
- Dentacor—Teeth cleaning and screening for YRC Clients. This will start in January for an undetermined time. This Service is generally offered during the day from 9 am to 5 pm depending on volunteer availability
- Planned Parenthood Tabling—Second Tuesday of every month.
Future 2023 Programming
All dates to be determined.
- Financial Literacy Group—Guest speakers from Fidelity Financial will host a group once a month to speak on different topics relating to financial literacy.
- Haircuts @ YRC—SLC Company and Group, "A Barber's Journey" is partnering up with the YRC to provide our clients with haircuts every other week for an undetermined time.